A little disclaimer here, this is going to be one of the random rants like I did earlier about things that annoy me so if you are not interested go do something else! You have been pre-warned!
- I am big on not putting any gunk into my mind, so if I don’t need to know something someone it telling me I would just ignore (99%) to listen to them but in Facebook I don’t have that choice! Some people post like their every thought on Facebook, e.g. I had toast for breakfast or something like shopping with mum – seriously do I need to know that?
- I think Facebook was meant to vent out your anger/frustration with your friends, gain a little sympathy and move on but with work colleagues wanting a share of your private life that is ruined too. I know one can exclude them from such posts but honestly it is a lot of faff. I might just pick up a phone a have a good moan if I have to!
- Not only your colleagues but your family wants to connect with you too on Facebook, niceeee, so my aunts son’s daughter sends me the friend request and it is important to say here that we have just met thrice in real life! She does what a teenager (normally) does – clicks pictures from x,y,z angles and edit them changes her profile photo, cover photo and guess what I get so see it all in my feed, uhhh as if I care!
- People (who you go out with) tag you which you might not necessarily want to share with whole world (ok not the whole world but you get the point!)
- Privacy concerns – so Ms S (for Silly) liked my photo, commented on it and then Mr N (for Nasty) who is friends with S gets to see it too, many would be ok with the idea but I wasn’t,especially after the recent update
- Another trend which I am noticing in these days is people just use Facebook as a medium to show off – see I got a new car, new iPad and oh look at our Christmas tree, look at our holiday pictures…uhh we are so happy and we need to prove it to the world!
- If this wasn’t enough, there are suggested retailers for you (because the-person-you-never-spoke-with has liked them) so you could be bombarded with promotions and it is best if I don’t get started on unrelated ads, app requests and invitations to events – which appear on right column!
I am sure there a real people out there, who consider it to be very useful for networking, sharing and all that shiz but guess I am just daft to understand that. So now if I have time to waste, I would rather sleep, read a book, go for long stroll or might just network on Linkedin!